Many of you are aware that the brain is a crucial organ to a person. When the brain fails or not functioning, a person can be considered a ‘vegetable’. However, how many of you really know that your brain is so amazing and powerful?
James Watson, a very famous scientist, once said, “The brain is the most complex thing we have yet discovered in our universe.”
Let’s take a step to understand the power of your amazing brain.
Every single thing you do such as twitching your mouth, blinking your eyes, lifting your fingers, studying, eating or just any other thing you do, all these will be signalled to your amazing control centre, that is your brain.
Your Brain is More Powerful Than A Super Computer
Your brain is well known to be more powerful than a super computer. Just look at the computer and its functionality. With a touch of a button you would be able to access to voluminous information. Your tiny finger is enough to perform a great job. Besides that the storage capacity of a computer is very vast.
How would you compare your brain to this super computer?
I believed you noticed that when you accidently touch a hot iron, you will automatically withdraw your fingers in a split second. It happens spontaneously. What actually happened behind the scene is that, signal is sent to your brain and your brain quickly calculates when, where, and at what speed you will need to pull and save your fingers. Then it orders your muscles to do so. Your timing is perfect and your fingers are saved.
No computer can come close to your brain’s awesome ability to download, process, and react to the flood of information coming from your eyes, ears, and other sensory organs. So, if a computer could acquire great attention from great minds, your brain would definitely deserve great focus and understanding.
Your Brain Can Power A Lightbulb.
Do you know that your brain contains about 100 billion neurons? Each neuron generates a small amount of electricity. When you add all these neurons together, the electricity generated in the brain can power a small light bulb.
Neurons are specialized nerve cells that transmit electrical signals around the body to relay important information to and from the brain. Nothing can beat this amazing brain messaging system. Even the most sophisticated messaging communication systems in the world, including the internet will not be able to match, what more to challenge this powerful brain messaging system.
It’s so amazing!
Neurons Are Running Around at A Very High Speed
Every action you do will result in tiny chemical and electrical signals racing between neurons along billions of tiny neuron highways.
Could you imagine how busy the highways are? Without proper, expert’s handling there could easily be many accidents. It’s a super amazing scenario.
7 Great Ways to Take Care of Your Brain
1. practice good nutrition – there are food which are good for the health brain.
– Fish like salmon, cod, haddock, tuna or halibut which are rich in omega 3 should be included in your diet. You could also include walnuts, flaxseeds or soybeans if fish is not your favourite.
– Fruits and vegetables provide good nutrients to the brain and are rich in antioxidants. eg. spinach, kale, broccoli and other leafy green vegetables, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries.
– Dark chocolates are strong antioxidant. They contain flavonoids which potentially improve blood flow to the brain and reduce inflammation.
– Herbs and spices such as turmeric, cinnamon and ginger are packed with antioxidants that may decrease harmful inflammation in the brain
– Whole grains, such as oats, barley, and quinoa are rich in many of the B vitamins. These help to reduce inflammation of the brain thus preserving your memory.
– Egg is another source of good nutrition. The protein and vitamins B, D and E in eggs and egg yolks may help to improve memory.
2. stay physically active – this helps to slow down normal declines in the brain functions. It also shows strong improvements in the ability to solve problems and process information.
Exercise may also change levels of chemicals in your brain, such as serotonin, endorphins and stress hormones.
“Exercise is a really, really great thing for the brain,”- Gomes-Osman, an assistant professor in physical therapy and neurology at University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.
3. sleep well – Sleep is important to a number of brain functions, including how nerve cells (neurons) communicate with each other.
The quality of sleep determine the health of almost every type of tissue and system in the body – from the brain, heart, and lungs to metabolism, immune function, mood, and disease resistance. Research has shown that the chronic lack of sleep contributes to many chronic illnesses.
So it is very crucial to ensure that you get a good night sleep.
4. treat depression and avoid stress – depression and stress have significant influence on your mental health. Do not take easy on these matters. Get help or share your emotional feelings with qualified personnels. You need proper guidance so as not to worsen your condition.
5. challenge your mind and memory – A challenged mind is a healthy mind. There are many brain games available to stimulate your mind and memory. Scientists have found that challenging the brain with new activities helps to build new brain cells and strengthen connections between them.
6. have a memory fitness strategy – Keeping your brain active is important to keep it functioning well. Work out on memory fitness strategy to enhance your memory. Engage in memory training to sharpen your memory.
7. protect and avoid head injury – High precautions have to be taken to prevent brain injury. Do not involve yourself with high risk activities. Necessary steps need to be implemented to protect the head from injuries.
Take Care of Your Amazing Powerful Brain
It is so amazing how a tiny brain could perform major tasks with super power. No brain could actually encompass this miracle. Your brain is so powerful and amazing that you should take proper care as not to dysfunction it.
Should you have any further suggestions, views or comments, I would very much like to hear from you. Feel free to pen your ideas. Looking forward to your response.
founder @ mygohealthy.com